Backing up Freezerworks Server to a UNC Path
Freezerworks Unlimited Server (versions 3.1.x – 4.0.x)
Freezerworks Basic Server (version 6.0.x)
The Freezerworks Server user interface does not provide a method to backup to a UNC path (Universal Naming Convention), but there is a workaround. If you have used a mapped network drive once for the backup, then you may edit the Freezerworks “Backup.XML” file to use the UNC path in place of the drive letter.
The “Backup.XML” file should be located in C:Freezerworks*ServerServer DatabasePreferencesBackup (where * is “Basic” or “UL”). If the Preferences folder does not exist, then you must run a Backup in order to create these folders and the XML file.
Configure and run an initial backup
- In the Freezerworks Server software, open Edit – Preferences, and click on Backup.
- Place checkmarks beside Data File and Structure File.
- Click the <…> button within the Backup File Destination Folder section.
- Locate the mapped network drive where you would like to store the Freezerworks backup.
- Click <OK>.
- Select File – Backup, and click <OK> to run an initial backup.
- Place a checkmark beside Use Log File in the Log Management section if you would like to track all data changes since the last backup. Click the <…> button and locate the Server Database folder. Click <New> to create a log file, and <Save> to store it with the data file.
- Use File – Backup again to create another backup. This will ensure that the log file will be included in all future backups.
For additional information about the Backup module, see the System Administrator’s Guide that came with Freezerworks. This Guide can be downloaded by logging into the Customer Care section of our web site at http://www.freezerworks.com/support.php .
Change the backup path to a UNC path
- Open the Freezerworks*ServerServer DatabasePreferencesBackup folder.
- Right-click Backup.XML, then select Open With Notepad.
- Replace the network drive letter with the UNC in the following locations:
For example, if I configured Backup to store all Freezerworks backups on the mapped drive called G:FreezerworksBackups, the Backup.XML file would contain the following:
On my server, G: is a mapped drive pointing to Server1Database, therefore I need to replace G: with Server1Database in Backup.XML as follows:
- In the Freezerworks Server application, the Last Backup should now be displayed as Server1DatabaseFREEZERWORKSBACKUPSFreezerworksUL4.4BK
- Select File – Backup and click <OK> to ensure that the backup is saved to the UNC path.